15.10.10

BREAD PUDDING

I have seen Bread Pudding recipes in my English cookbooks, but I used to pass them over thinking “what's with having bread for desert?” I had no clue what a glorious dessert this was. The first time I tried it I thought I died and went to heaven. Bread Pudding is too rich after a full course dinner and be forewarned that you will likely eat a little more from it than you need to… but here it goes.

This one here was the breakfast/brunch version. You might find the photos useful before assembling this one. The method of assembly is essentially the same.

BREAD PUDDING
10-12 slices of white French bread
3 Tbsp butter
4 whole eggs
4 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups milk
1 cup whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla
Apricot Sauce and more whipped cream to serve with the pudding

• Slice the bread, and butter each slice.
• Beat the eggs, sugar and salt until well blended.
• In a saucepan bring the milk and cream just to boil.
• Stir this mixture very gradually into the egg mixture.
• Add the vanilla extract.
• Butter a square baking dish.
• Arrange the bread slices in the prepared dish with buttered sides up.
• Strain the custard mixture on the top.
• Set the dish in a roasting pan.
• Fill the roasting pan with hot water to a dept of 1 inch.
• Bake at 375F for until a knife inserted comes out clean.
• Scoop some hot pudding on a plate and pour hot Apricot Sauce on top.
• Top with a large dollop of whipped cream.
• Serves 8

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!