6.1.12

CARROT SPICE CAKE

I was laughing as I dumped the 1-1/3 cups of butter into the bowl, even with an egg landing on the floor and the beater cord hanging into the butter I was amused by the not too distant cake restrictions imposed by our local school board. Parents are no longer allowed to take in nanaimo bars or birthday cakes to the classroom; everything has to be “healthy”. One of the things deemed healthy was carrot cakes. Yes, we have a few bright ones on the school board after all. I will never forget one mother, a friend leaving my granddaughter’s school as I entered “hey I just delivered a “HEALTHY” carrot cake with cream cheese icing for the class. Don’t you just love it hahaha.” Indeed it was good for a laugh.

I have been meaning to make this carrot cake for a long time. I had to omit the nuts and the raisins, the grandchild would have none of those in a cake. I do believe however that these additions would have added to the complexity of textures and enhanced the flavours of this otherwise very fine cake. The low baking temperature [325F] is not a mistake. The length of time it baked I cannot verify, I forgot to set the timer, however the recipe called for 45 minutes. It is ready when the center of the top holds under gentle pressure. The consistency of the batter was quite surprising; it reminded me of sweet loaf batter rather than a cake. But the crumb turned out to be perfect and moist, it is a cake, make no mistake about it. And the bonus is this cake does not collapse as it cools. [Carrot cakes are notorious for collapsing with huge craters in the middle.] After I cut the fist slice [in the picture], I realized a chef's knife cuts much neater slices than a serrated one.

CARROT SPICE CAKE
1-1/3 cups butter
1-3/4 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice,
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp baking soda
3 cups grated carrots
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
walnuts to decorate the top

• Peel and grate the carrots.
• Fully line two circular cake pans with parchment paper.
• Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
• Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
• In a separate bowl,whisk together the dry ingredients.
• Combine the butter mixture with the dry ingredients.
• Stir in the carrots, raisins and walnuts.
• Spread the batter in the pan. A small offset spatula works really well.
• Bake at 325F for 45 minutes or when the top resists when gently tapped.
• Cool the cakes in the pan completely.
• Remove to wire racks and peel of parchment papers.
• Make sure cake has cooled absolutely throughout before frosting.
• Frost the cake with two batches of Cream Cheese Icing: Make a crumb coat first, chill the cake and then cover the chilled cake with the remainder of icing.
• Decorate with walnut pieces or candied fruit bits. Stupendous!




one slice for the cook :)

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!