25.11.12

CHOCOLATE BANANA MUFFINS

These soft and lofty muffins were adapted from Nigella.com. The first time I made them I could only get 7 descent sized muffins. I don’t like small muffins; they are drier than the large ones. Just think about it! Proportionately there is more surface area than soft inside in a small muffin. In any case muffins don’t qualify as health foods. A doughnut has actually less calories than a muffin or a bagel. If you want portion control, have half a muffin. If you want healthy, have a banana. I also replaced the oil with shortening. 

I really dislike paper liners. They stick to the muffins and make them fall apart when the paper is removed. I only use parchment muffin liners. Buttering and flouring the cupcake tins is an equally bad idea. It creates a white pasty layer on the surface of the muffins and this looks especially bad on the dark ones. Use unflavoured cooking spray instead. The muffins slide out and cleanup is a breeze. If I run out of cooking spray, I generously butter the muffin tins, but I don’t dust with flour.
 
CHOCOLATE BANANA MUFFINS
4 overripe bananas
2/3 cup shortening
3 eggs
1 cup light brown sugar
2-3/8 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
1-1/3 tsp baking soda
unflavoured cooking spray
 
• Preheat the oven to 400F.
• Mash the bananas with a potato masher or with a freestanding mixer.
• Still beating and mashing, add the shortening followed by the eggs and sugar.
• In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and the baking soda.
• Gradually fold into the banana mixture.
• Spray a large muffin tin with unflavoured cooking spray and spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
• Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and lift up the muffins on one side and let them slightly cool in the muffin tin.
• Serve warm with butter.
• When cooled down, pack remaining muffins in a plastic container and freeze for use later. 

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!