17.11.13

TOMATO POTATOES - PARADICSOMOS KRUMPLIFŐZELÉK

The taste of this simple potato stew is akin to Hungarian stuffed peppers. The first time I made it with fresh tomato sauce and it was spectacular. After that I used canned tomato sauce and I was less than happy with the result. But acidity wasn’t the only thing bothering me. It didn’t make sense to discard the potato water and then add water to the pot. I used the reserved potato water, but most of the potato water still went down the drain. So instead of experimenting with various brands of tomato sauce or finding the right amount, I radically changed the recipe. This may not be the traditional way to cook this dish, but it works and delicious.

TOMATO POTATOES
3 Tbsp light olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1-2 bay leaves
salt to taste
6 red potatoes with skin on, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 fresh or frozen tomatoes [more if small]
1-1/2 cups water
1-2 tsp sugar
3 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup cold water
 
• Place the pot on medium heat; add the oil and the onion and sauté until translucent.
• Add the bay leaf, the potatoes, fresh parsley and sprinkle with salt.
• Add the skinned tomatoes and 1-1/2 cups of water.
• Bring to slow steady simmer and cover pot.
• Slowly simmer for 25 minutes.
• Uncover and continue to simmer for 10 more minutes. This will reduce the sauce.
• Adjust the salt and add a little sugar to taste.
• Make a paste from 1/4 cup of cold water and 3 Tbsp flour.
• Add to the pot and gently combine.
• When the sauce thickens, remove from heat, cover and let the dish rest for 10 minutes before serving.


Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!