17.7.14

CHERRY CRUMBLE PIE BARS

One would think Érik A Ropogós Cseresznye is what comes to mind. Well maybe just a little. But actually it is Csekhov’s Cherry Garden. The love of plays goes back to my childhood: the story of love, loss, family and money.

If there is one thing communism can be credited with it is the accessibility of culture. Museums and art galleries were dirt cheap and we went regularly, mostly on Sundays. Instead of church people went to see world class art exhibitions. I had my favourite rooms in the permanent collection. We had season tickets to live theatre and the Philharmony. Work and school distributed them for next to nothing. That’s when I got acquainted with Shakespeare, Chekhov and Molière. I was twelve when I saw my first opera at the Budapest Opera House. The Anvil Chorus in Verdi’s Troubadour sent chills up my spine. I knew I will never be the same. 

We tried to give culture to our children, but the expense and the lack of it in Canada was wholly discouraging. Art is holy and should never be treated as profit. If there was something I can resent in this system is that culture is superfluous. Unfortunately the lack of culture has a dumb down effect. Beyond reality TV and rock concerts there is not much more.


    
CHERRY CRUMBLE PIE BARS
2 cups flour
1-1/4 cups almond meal or very finely ground almonds
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, cut up
cups homemade cherry pie filling or 1 can cherry pie filling
1 tsp almond extract

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Line a 13x9x2-inch with parchment paper, over the edges of the pan; set aside.
  • For crust, in a large bowl, stir together the flour, almond meal, brown sugar and salt.
  • Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
  • Remove 1-1/2 cups of the mixture; set aside.
  • Press the remaining mixture evenly onto the bottom of prepared baking pan.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
  • Spoon cherry filling over hot baked crust, spreading evenly
  • Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
  • Bake about 40 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned.
  • Cool in pan on a wire rack.
  • Lift the baked mixture out of the pan.
  • Invert onto a baking sheet; remove foil.
  • Invert again onto a cutting board.
  • Cut into bars.
  • Makes 24 bars.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!