6.10.17

HORTOBAGY STRUDEL - HORTOBÁGYI RÉTES

This is a simple and effortless recipe. Even those of us who enjoy trying new things possess a certain tendency to draw back on the familiar. Food is more comforting when familiar rather than exotic. I was thinking I should use up the rest of the filo sheets and with that in mind I bought a package of ground chicken. I looked at various recipes and considered Greek, Italian and even Moroccan chicken strudel, but failing to have spinach, mushrooms and several of the spices, I did a Hungarian search. That is when I found the recipe and surprise, surprise my pantry held everything I needed. Reminiscent of Hortobágyi Palacsinta, it tasted the same except maybe for the pastry.  We had it as a main course, but it would be just as good as an appetizer or a cold snack. Even though I think grating an entire onion doesn't follow as a time saver, not to mention how oniony the strudel would have been, it went well with a beer. I added rice, tomato and red peppers and they weren’t superfluous. Inspired by Stahl Konyhája, my Hortobagy Strudel is similar, though I suspect is quite different. Never sacrifice taste for convenience.  

HORTOBAGY STRUDEL
6 sheets of filo pastry
oil for spreading
2 heaping Tbsp fine breadcrumbs

Filling:
2 Tbsp oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
250 g extra lean ground chicken
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove of garlic
1-1/2 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1 red pepper, diced
1/2 cup cooked rice
1/2 cup sour cream

  • Preheat the oven to 400F.
  • Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • In a non stick skillet, heat three Tbsp olive oil on medium heat.
  • Add the onions and sauté until soft.
  • Add the ground chicken and break it up with a non abrasive spatula.
  • Sauté until no pink remains.
  • Remove from heat.
  • Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Add the garlic, the Hungarian paprika and give it a stir.
  • Add the tomato and the pepper and stir.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!