4.3.10

ROASTED HALF TURKEY

I asked the butcher to cut a fresh twelve pound turkey in half. I froze one half and roasted the other. It cooked so fast I had to turn the oven down to 325F to stretch the roasting time. I ended up with a juicy, evenly cooked and browned bird. The four of us had several helpings with plenty of sandwich meat left for the following day. For a larger group place the two halves in the pan and roast them side by side. I don’t think I will ever roast another Norman Rockwell again.  

ROASTED HALF TURKEY
6 lb half turkey
salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
fresh thyme and sage sprigs

• Rinse the turkey and pat it dry with paper towels.
• Lightly rub salt into the bird on both sides.
• Place it on a platter and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
• Turn the oven on to 350 Fahrenheit.
• Discard the juices and place the bird skin side up in a roasting pan.
• Tuck the wing under.
• Place the thyme and sage sprigs beside the bird.
• Distributing evenly, spoon 2 Tbsp of olive oil on the top.
• Cover the bird and roast at 350F for 1 hour.
• Remove the cover and reduce heat to 325F.
• Begin to baste bird with its own juices.
• Continue basting at 15 minute intervals.
• Roast for 1-1/2 hours longer.
• Remove from oven when thermometer in breast registers 170F.
• Lift turkey from the roasting pan and tent it to rest for 15 minutes.
• Make the gravy.
• Carve and place turkey on a serving dish.

Roasting Turkey Parts:
In a preheated oven at 350 Fahrenheit

Half Breast: 18 to 25 minutes per pound
Whole Breast: 15-20 minutes per pound
Drumsticks: 10 minutes per pound
Thighs: 10 minutes per pound
 

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!