20.5.12

HUNGARIAN BUNS – ZSÖMLE

Zsömle or zsemle? It’s much the same as the North American “tomato or “tomahto” debate. Zsömle is a crusty bun, both light and chewy. My grandma brought more zsömle from the Dairy Store than anything else. She would time it when the morning truck arrived from the bakery with several baskets of still warm zsömle. 
In Grade 1 most of us ate buttered zsömle. Once in a while someone had a téliszalámis zsömle and the entire class ate in longing silence. I am Vári Zsuzsa, 1st row 3rd on the right. On my left is my best friend with white ribbon in her hair, Dulka Vera. I saw her in 1972 but then we moved and I lost her address. I tried to find her many times over the years... Another girl I remember fondly was Gál Zsuzsa, she is the one with the gorgeous braids behind me. The last I heard Zsuzsa immigrated to the USA during the 1956 Revolution. As you get older you keep thinking of people you used to know and wonder where they are and how life treated them. I treasure this old photo with the outer edges broken off - it moved with me far-far away from home and then more.

I make two types of zsömle, the authentic crusty bun and a softer, one egg bun. There is a textural difference; the one containing the egg is softer and less chewy than the original. For stuffing, I like to use original zsömle. But as a dinner bun, we like the softer version. Both slices like a dream.

HUNGARIAN BUNS
Crusty Buns:
3-1/2 cups white bread flour
2-1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
1-1/8 cups lukewarm water
1 egg for eggwash

Dinner Buns:
3-1/2 cups white bread flour
2-1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
1/2 Tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
1 egg
1 cup lukewarm water
1 egg for egg wash

Both recipes make 12 fair sized buns. 
The ingredients vary slightly, but the preparation is the same.

• Measure out the bread flour with the 1/2 cup measure and sweep method and set it aside.
• Place the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and whisk them to combine.
• Gradually add the reserved bread flour to the bowl.
• When the dough forms kneed in a mixer with a dough hook for 5 minutes, or on a floured board by hand for ten minutes. The dough should be very elastic.
• Place the dough in a large oiled bowl and turn it over to grease all sides.
• Cover the bowl with plastic and let the dough rise until doubled.
• Punch down and divide dough into 12 parts.
• Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
• Form 12 balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
• Leave 2 inch spaces between the buns for expansion.
• Whisk the egg and brush the top of the buns with the egg wash using a pastry brush.
• Let the buns double.
• Preheat oven to 400F.
• Brush the tops with the egg wash again.
• Place the buns in a preheated oven and bake until tops are golden brown and the bottoms are crusty.
• Remove buns from the oven and immediately brush tops lightly with water.
• Place the buns on a wire rack to cool.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!