30.11.12

GREEN PEAS STEW - ZÖLDBORSÓ FŐZELÉK


The most successful főzelék made from a frozen vegetable has to be green peas stew. When I was a kid Grandma only made them in season and she always cooked the peas in water, never in milk. In actual fact we had no frozen peas in those days, not even in Budapest

Főzelék dishes are comforting, filling and uniquely Hungarian. When I was a kid we used to eat it with a tükörtojás, eggs sunny side up, and believe me after a long winter when we finally got to have some fresh green peas it was always a treat. I added a considerable amount of finely chopped fresh parsley at the end. The fresh parsley enhanced the flavor and made the dish taste fresher; in fact it made me forget these were frozen peas. 

Green Peas Stew cooked in water

GREEN PEAS STEW
3 cups green peas
3/8 cup butter [do not reduce amount]
3 tbsp flour
salt to taste
3 cups cold milk [I used 1%]
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup fresh parsley
 
• Melt the butter on medium heat in a medium sized dutch pot.
• Add the frozen peas and heat the peas, stirring for a couple of minutes. The peas will be still frozen, just a little bit less so.
• Sprinkle the flour over the peas and stir to combine.
• Add salt to taste.
• Pour in the cold milk and bring it to a slow simmer.
• Simmer slowly, stirring continuously for 4-5 minutes.
• Adjust the salt and add the sugar.
• Finally stir in the chopped fresh parsley, cover and let the stew rest for 4-5 minutes and serve.
  

 

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!