13.7.14

STUFFED MUSHROOMS

I don’t think that boiling some frozen thing in a pot of water is a satisfying way to eat my vegetables. It takes a bit of an effort to make vegetables interesting, but the good news is though they tend to require a bit of prep work; vegetable based dishes cook a lot faster than meat based meals. No I haven’t gone over to the green side, but we eat less meat of late. Stuffed Mushrooms is one of several vegetable based sides I’ve been making regularly.

After one gloriously failed stuffed mushroom recipe, I decided to stuff the mushrooms my way. The taste tends to vary with the ingredients I have on hand. But whatever ingredients I use, the breadcrumbs, onion, garlic and the fresh parsley is a constant. You need only TINY AMOUNTS to stuff even the largest mushrooms. Sometimes I put diced red bell peppers or bits of white cheddar into the stuffing. The stuffing should be a bit crumbly, never soggy, soft or pliable. Use only hard, white cheeses, avoid orange cheddar.

Unless you bake a larger amount of mushrooms, baking three is a frivolous waste of energy. Bake these in a toaster oven or try to combine it with some other food item. In this case I baked the mushroom caps toward the end tale of a large Baked Sweet Potato.  

STUFFED MUSHROOMS
3-4 large mushroom caps
diced mushroom stems
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/8 cup diced onions
1 diced garlic clove
2 Tbsp fine bread crumbs
3-4 sprigs of fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp heavy cream
sprinkling of of Parmesan cheese for the top

  • Preheat the oven to 400F.
  • Wash off the dirt and dry the mushrooms with paper towel.
  • Cut off the stems, dice and place in a small bowl.
  • Heat the oil in a non stick skillet and add the onions.
  • Cook on medium heat until soft.
  • Add the onions and the remaining ingredients to the bowl and combine.
  • With a small spoon, fill each mushroom cap with the stuffing.
  • Place in a baking dish and bake in preheated oven until cheese on top is slightly browned.
  • [If using a metal pan, line it with parchment paper.]





Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!