4.1.16

BAKING POWDER CRUMPETS

As corporate greed is making more and more of our standard foodstuffs unpalatable, I have been forced to make more and more things from scratch. If you eat it all the time, your palate can adjust to the changes, but if you don’t, be prepared for the occasional nasty surprise. The other day the toasted, lovingly buttered English muffin my darling prepared for me tasted metallic and distinctively bitter. Never fear I said we are going to make crumpets. After a few trials and errors, here is the fast version, leavened with just baking powder and buttermilk. So simple to make, I never would have thought crumpets could taste so good.

BAKING POWDER CRUMPETS
1 cup flour
1⁄8 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup 3.25% buttermilk
1 Tbsp melted butter
oil for the pan

  • Combine everything, leaving the melted butter for last.
  • Heat up a non-stick skillet on medium heat.
  • Lightly oil the griddle.
  • Pour 3 small mounds of batter onto griddle. Leave a half an inch between the crumpets, they will spread out a bit. I kind of helped the batter into a circle with my fingers. You can do that because the batter is thick.
  • Turn down the heat a notch and cook until the tops are shiny and bubbles break on surface.
  • Turn the crumpets over with a spatula. They will be ready when the underside matches the top.
  • The tendency is to make the next batch a little bigger; the eye gets used to the finished size and overcompensates. There should be enough batter for seven good-sized crumpets.
  • Serve the crumpets with butter and jam.




Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!