2.1.16

GARBANZO MASHED POTATOES

Oh my, winter arrived with vengeance! At first, I loved the beauty of it and even enjoyed the holed up seclusion for a few days. And then slowly... we began to dig ourselves out. Our street, I thought, may not even see a snowplow before January. What it will scrape off the road will deposit at the end of our driveway. 



I wanted to make Maria’s mashed white beans, but all we had at home was garbanzo, so I made this hybrid and Jimre who hates beans was none the wiser. Yesterday I baked bread but somehow I have to get to the store for milk. Oh and eggs. And sour cream. What kind of household without eggs and sour cream? The air looked all purple yesterday. I am hoping there will be no more snow today. Well the snow stayed, the plough came and that is how we ended the old year.

It was Peach Lady who alerted me to cooking beans in the pressure cooker. It would take way too long to cook garbanzo beans with the conventional method, but the pressure cooker made them soft in fifteen. I could have used a can of garbanzo beans, but that would not be half as much fun.

GARBANZO MASHED POTATOES
1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
1-1/2 cups cooked red potatoes
1/2 cup 3.25% plain yogurt
1 clove of garlic, minced
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
2-3 Tbsp melted butter
Paprika Onion Topping:
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup red onion slices
sprinkling of salt
1 tsp paprika

  • Cook 1/2 cup of garbanzo beans with 3 cups of water in the pressure cooker until soft.
  • Meanwhile peel, chop and cook the potatoes in water until soft.
  • Drain the potatoes.
  • Drain and rinse the beans.
  • Place the beans in the food processor with the yoghurt the minced garlic and the salt.
  • Puree.
  • Next add the potatoes and the milk and puree.
  • Add the melted butter and pulse to combine.
  • Transfer the mixture to a plastic bowl, cover and heat up in the microwave for 3-4 minutes.
  • Make the paprika onion topping just before serving.
  • Melt the butter in a non-stick skillet on medium heat.
  • Add the sliced onions and sprinkle with salt.
  • Sauté until the onions begin to wilt.
  • Remove from heat and stir in the paprika. Once you add the paprika don't put the skillet back on the stove; the paprika will turn bitter. 
  • Transfer the garbanzo mashed potatoes to a serving bowl and pour the paprika topping on the top. The paprika butter will melt down and nicely pool at the base of the dish.

dinner

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!